Course Placement and Search at Gateway Community College
Course placements at Gateway are normally determined by either the Accuplacer or your SAT/ACT scores, but placement testing may be unavailable this spring/summer. Please consult closely with your ISSP Coordinator regarding appropriate courses and check your personal email daily for updates regarding placement testing and course registration.
For Fall 2021, NHPS students may be allowed to ONLY take online college courses. In-person courses are pending approval at this time (March 2021).
At Gateway, “ONLN” means ENTIRELY ONLINE, with NO scheduled class meetings or required online sessions. You must be VERY self-motivated and organized to successfully take this type of class, as you will work on your own and must meet all of the professor’s deadlines for assignments and exams without reminders. This course type is the same as “Online Asynchronous” courses at Southern.
At Gateway, “LRON” means that the students meet online together with the professor at the listed times and days (“Live Remote”), just like your remote high school classes have been doing. If you choose an “LRON” course, you must attend every online class session listed, so only consider ones scheduled after your high school classes end for the day. This course type is the same as “Online Synchronous” at Southern.
How to Search for a Course at Gateway Community College (GWCC or GCC):
- Go to www.gatewayct.edu. Click on “Course Search” at center top, in white area to the right of the Gateway logo, just above “Paying for College”.
- Complete the fields in the Search Engine by following these steps:
- Select “Fall Term 2021” in the Term dropdown.
- Select “Gateway CC” in the College dropdown.
- Select “Open” in the Open/Closed buttons.
- Select “Credit” in the Course Level buttons.
- In “Instruction Type”, click on “LRON – Live/Remote & Online Component”, then hold down CTRL (Control) on your keyboard while you click on “ONLN – Fully Online”, since these are the ONLY types of classes open to NHPS students.
- Do NOT select Days you are available, unless you only have one day of availability, e.g. Saturday.
- Select up to ten departments of interest by clicking on one to highlight it, and then hold down Control while you choose others.
- Click on “Get Courses”.
Many courses at Gateway require that you have a certain placement level or have completed a previous course. You can easily check this “prerequisite” information before adding a course to your list, saving yourself time and disappointment. Please check EVERY class for prerequisites before submitting your course list to your ISSP Coordinator.
- Open another tab and go to www.gatewayct.edu. Click on “College Catalog” found in the blue box in the low center of the main page.
- Click on Course Descriptions and then on the course you want, such as SOC 101. Read the description fully, to be sure you know what the class is about and whether it has any prerequisites (classes you must take before) or a required placement level.
Add the information for courses you are interested in (and qualify for) to your saved and re-named Ranked List, starting on the left with the “CRN” number. Link here to get to the Sample Ranked List to save and edit. Fill in all requested info for all courses and sections that interest you, to improve your chances of getting a course. Share the list with your ISSP Coordinator, being sure to give her “Edit Privileges.” Once you have discussed & finalized it with your Coordinator (via email), save your list of approved classes, in preparation for registration in January. Once you have been accepted by Gateway, you will receive a Banner ID number and an email user name for logging in to their systems and registering. Returning students should check to be sure they can log in to their Gateway accounts now, but all high students must wait for January to register.